Seite 1 von 3 123 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 28

Thema: let's gripe | Forums

Junior Mitglied
    this thread is for any poorly thought out game mechanics introduced in Anno 1404, just for the sake of change, or not yet improved since 1701. minor elements of preference need not apply, if it doesn't affect gameplay then it's not much of a concern here. we can all see that Blue Byte has done a great job of porting over all the pretty colors from Settlers 6 and more. what "new" things has Related Designs created to make it annoying instead of fun? not assuming they had all the say in these decisions, just that they would be responsible since sunflowers/ubisoft are acting as publishers (allegedly).

corsairs - pirates are mean! let's make them slightly less mean, but really annoying instead. you can defend yourself, but attacking is too hard! solve the situation with money. until Hassan feels like taking your money and then cancelling your treaty. repeat ad nauseum until you have destroyed an arbitrary number of ships, or paid him an exhorbitant amount of gold, that you could have used for your own warships. and then you'll be friends! but until then, there's nothing you can do about it, just pay up.

espionage - ah memories of blowing up the warehouses of your friends, as you buddy up to their profits. apparently this element of the game is too complicated for humans, only computers are capable of this mind boggling aspect of game theory and military intelligence. but humans since childhood have been training for "Where's Waldo?". looking for spies that you cannot recruit is much more fun than sending them out yourself. or maybe they just went the corsair route?

norias and mines - ok let's get rid of research, so we can introduce more interesting ways of replenishing resources and upgrades. or, we can just solve it with money! water's gone, buy more water. ore is out, alchemy can turn gold into iron. no more stone! fill the quarries with gold. what happens if you miss this message? watch your economy fall apart. but it's fun to click things! even if we have to do it over and over again.

locked structures - what am I building all these houses for? who knows! you'll find out after you build them, planning in advance is too complicated. why show the user all these buildings they can't build yet, who doesn't like surprises? but hey even they know that players need goals, so let's see what we can build for just a few more houses. too much grey could be confusing! or just play until you can memorise them all?

warehouse items - RD has made it pretty clear that school is for chumps, let's buy all of our technology. but money can't solve everything... let's use a different type of currency. what if we don't see something we want? buy it and then throw it away! something else will appear if you can afford it. because showing more than 3 items presents an overwhelming amount of choice that our fragile little minds simply cannot handle.

mission rewards - go fetch these crates all the way on the other side of the ocean over there. after that, you can go destroy this fleet of warships for me. but what do we get out of it? who knows! you'll find out after you run this random errand, even if it's 30 tons of flour. or you can accept it, and then ignore the mission. you must appreciate this, because your mills could not possibly convert wheat into flour with such efficiency.

this is what I can think of so far. I have to admit I have not played much warfare in the game besides navy, so I have not really seen much of what they have done besides the <STRIKE>tutorial</STRIKE> campaign. feel free to add any more blatant lack of imagination or annoying mechanics that really have no good reason to exist, or ideas on how they could have been done otherwise. maybe the devs just need some input from the user's perspective. since they may be totally stuck on ideas for patches and expansions?

we do this because we love it, otherwise who would bother to gripe about a game not worth playing. let's not mention mp, it didn't make it into this version and that's that, this we can only hope for in the future.
    Zitieren Zitieren

Senior Mitglied
    I found it kinda interesting that unlike previous annos , peasants apparently don't need clothes.
    Carpe Diem
    Zitieren Zitieren

corsairs - I don't think you need to pay him a cent? You can just keep destroying his ships until he offers a treaty.

espionage - ok, I don't like clicking on little characters either, but the old spies weren't exactly balanced (especially vs. dumb AI), so it goes either way.

norias and mines - you're not turning gold into resources, you're spending money to expand/dig deeper into the mine and deeper into the well that the noria is getting water out of. It makes more sense than "researching" a deep mine... what's a deep mine and what's a shallow mine? It makes sense that once your current mine runs dry, you can pay for your workers to dig deeper and uncover more resources.

locked structures - always been this way in all the games. I like it, wouldn't be user-friendly to see 100 structures right at the start.

warehouse items - I don't get what you don't like about this. Too much sarcasm.

mission rewards - what's wrong with missions to sink ships? They've been around in previous games, they're OK. You don't have to take the boring missions, and if you select the mission in the action bar, it tells you the exact rewards.
    Zitieren Zitieren

I have to agree with thestreaker

You can upgrade the Norias with honor so that they store more.

Pirates are easy to deal with and should have been harder. Their ships are easy to blow up and you can time when they are about to attack. (Right after you don't pay.) Just keep a repair ship bay on a couple islands and waste them.

Upgrades: Yes, memorize them as you would with any game that you enjoy playing. This enables you to plan ahead.

Combat: The system is even more simple than before. Anno has never gotten good reviews on it's combat part as it was compared to other RTS games. This game has always been about resources and making bleeding edge RTS combat system would be two games in one, and near impossible to keep track of everything.

Multi-Player: Getting everything synced may have delayed the game for months longer. There are what looks like some multi-player options that were going to be added in the Engine.ini

My guess is that they were going to plan multi-player but could not get it ready in any reasonable amount of time, so they released the game to bring some money in.
    Zitieren Zitieren

Junior Mitglied
    right you can upgrade norias, but the point is that you still have to do it, which is less annoying but still there. and mines have no upgrade choices. why couldn't they have made some sort of upgrade purchase like a warehouse item, to make norias and mines infinite? so that there is a way to avoid manually filling them in late game. the mechanic for early game makes sense, but later on there is no reason for it to exist.

and yes corsairs are easy to deal with, my point was they are annoying. like the mosquito, pestering you all game until x amount of ships are destroyed or x amount of money is paid. they want him to stay as a permanent trade partner, I get that. but to make a permanent opponent of war? unacceptable. if you want to eleminate him you should be able to do so at will, no other npc has the ability to relentlessly attack you regardless of your military power. for it to have a purpose, your amount of control over him should coincide with your military/economic power. ie. if you are able to pound him into submission right away, or buy him off once and for all for a bigger sum of money, then there should be a way to do that instead of having a constant drain on resources in early stages of the game. the way they did it might have made it easier, but imo it's no fun.

what I meant about warehouse items is, there are huge choices of items available to you, some of which make no sense to buy depending on your situation in the game. so why do they only stock 3 for each stage? and only 1 each for a particular class of items. let's say you need a certain crop seed, or ship upgrade depending on the available islands on your map and what you are using your ships for. if the traders are not carrying these items, you still have to buy something you don't want in order for them to stock something that you do. and they're randomly generated! what they stock could have absolutely nothing to do with the map you're playing on. why not expand the item menu with more items? unecessary actions for the user, for the sake of ui simplicity.
    Zitieren Zitieren

It seems your point on the norias/mines was that it didn't make sense that "alchemy can turn gold into iron"...
    sure it may be time-consuming, but it's part of city management. Personal choice if you don't like it.

From experience with previous games, it was never possible to assault the pirates early on and hope to win. It was usually a mid/late game affair, by which time you can ally with them in this game. Hard pirates are no laughing matter in 1404.

I think warehouse items are limited for balance purposes. You wouldn't want a "super warehouse" with many +25% items and extra cart item and all other kinds of stuff, it may make things too easy. Same for allowing you the choice of all available items, maybe having a combination of all the best items instantly will make things too easy.
    Zitieren Zitieren

Hmm, Corsairs – They attack my trading ships yet I cannot attack theirs!?
    I understand that they don’t want you to simply wipe them out tho, as they are an element that should persist in some form throughout the game, as pirates say in IRL would be fairly elusive and hard to remove completely.

I miss the research options but not trying to squeeze school buildings into my towns.

Norias not watering thier full area of effect?

The AI taking all the islands so early and putting 1 farm on it!
    Zitieren Zitieren

Junior Mitglied
    sure it sucks when ai takes an island you want, and there is no way to get those items or trade with them for the resource they occupy. the only choice is war. at least in 1701 we could make do until we have our lodge up, research bombing, and take care of it in a peaceful manner . thats another failure of ai imo, how hard would it be for them to have the npc stock those items? the fact that you would have to pay for them already creates grounds for war, if the devs wish to introduce competition.

Originally posted by thestreaker:
    It seems your point on the norias/mines was that it didn't make sense that "alchemy can turn gold into iron"...
    sure it may be time-consuming, but it's part of city management. Personal choice if you don't like it.

From experience with previous games, it was never possible to assault the pirates early on and hope to win. It was usually a mid/late game affair, by which time you can ally with them in this game. Hard pirates are no laughing matter in 1404.

I think warehouse items are limited for balance purposes. You wouldn't want a "super warehouse" with many +25% items and extra cart item and all other kinds of stuff, it may make things too easy. Same for allowing you the choice of all available items, maybe having a combination of all the best items instantly will make things too easy.
    the fact still stands that they had the bottomless mining feature in the last version, and did not include it in 1404. whether it was a design decision or simply to save work, I do not agree with the choice to leave it out.

and yes I am familiar with fighting pirates in 1404 as well. it's proper for them to be a dominating force in early game, that's the reason for them to exist. but to be completely indestructable, with invulnerable trade ships, no. I see that only as a shortcut for lack of feature.

my point with the warehouse items was that they should have at least figured out a way for the items to somehow be relevant to the map. like if there's only one tiny island capable of producing rose oil, then maybe carry rose seeds? or at least create a way to get those items without having to buy something totally useless, and hoping that the ai reshuffles them to your favor. I'm not saying they should have everything available from the start, every level is locked anyway until you reach certain attainments. why not have all the items available once you max out your item attainments, I see nothing wrong with that. if you choose to spend your honor points that way, you would obviously be lacking in others to balance the game.
    Zitieren Zitieren

It is a micro management game that is not going to appeal to everyone.

The pirates though annoying just go after trade ships and you can pay them off until you can deal with them. It would be nice to be able to wipe them out though.

The Most annoying thing I have issues with is playing with the cheating AI. Even on medium they want to extort money and all have the same personality. If you don't pay they attack before your able to have war ships ready and worse they land armies on your island before your even close to having an army.

Easy AI is way to easy, and medium AI have full everything before you can get set up and they all attack if you don't pay. No personality at all, there all the same.

Even with a trainer you can't beat the AI in speed of growth and their your only choice for an opponent. This cripples the game severely.

So pirates are not a big issue when armies are already on your islands and you have no way to keep up because the AI cheats.
    Zitieren Zitieren

Originally posted by papa22smurf:
    The AI taking all the islands so early and putting 1 farm on it!
    This seems like sound strategy to me. You mean you don't take your flagship out exploring early on, loaded with wood and tools, and claim the islands that have the best/most rare resources?

If you don't like it, you really won't like it if and when they introduce multiplayer.
    Zitieren Zitieren

Seite 1 von 3 123 LetzteLetzte