Ergebnis 1 bis 9 von 9

Thema: 1404 vs 1701? | Forums

Howdy I guess this has been asked before..

Is 1404 an improvement on 1701, ignoring the missing mulitplayer because that doesn't bother me..

I've played and enjoyed 1701 and saw that 1404 was out. From screenies bits of it look just like 1701.. but I guess this is just in a few of the building designs.

What has changed, what new things are there that make it better than 1701?

I'm unsure whether to take the plunge!

Thankyou for your help
    David
    Zitieren Zitieren

Is 1404 an improvement on 1701, ignoring the missing mulitplayer because that doesn't bother me..

I've played and enjoyed 1701 and saw that 1404 was out. From screenies bits of it look just like 1701.. but I guess this is just in a few of the building designs.

Thankyou for your help
    David
    Zitieren Zitieren

Overall for me, I'd say 1404. Sure loading times take forever, but I don't get late-game lag like I did in 1701. After about 5 hours on a save game, my FPS drops even on low. Not the same in 1404
    -----------------------------------
    Formally the Newbie from Pittsburgh, Wkw427!

Refer to me as wkw, not whyme. I warned you..
    [IMG]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff
    Zitieren Zitieren

I think 1404 is better, but their mechanics are pretty similar.

The differences I see include:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>You control 2 cultures--Occident and Orient. Much more interaction than with 1701's cultures which just let you trade
    <LI>Harbor system lets you make pretty nice harbors
    <LI>Ships and warehouses have slots where you can put items to improve them
    <LI>Each island has a free fertility that you can buy seeds for to add a fertility
    <LI>The lodge and guildhouse are gone
    <LI>Military is done with encampments--a bit more indirect than in 1701
    <LI>Pirates are permanent and cannot be wiped out--but you can enter alliance with them
    <LI>Monuments that take large amount of resources to build.
    <LI>No more infinite mines--rather you pay to dig deeper
    <LI>Neutral powers that give you benefits if you find them, contact them, and supply them with goods
    <LI>A campaign that sort of acts as a tutorial[/list]

If it's been a while since you played 1701 and liked it, it may be worth the price. I think it's worth the price to me. But it is pretty similar to 1701, so you may not find enough different to justify the next game in the series.
    Anno 1404 Production Spreadsheet in Goods/minute: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...JXLHhxiX8umjYA
    Zitieren Zitieren

Senior Mitglied
    Though I loved 1701 I think 1404 is better.
    More depth and goals and it's a beautiful game graphically.
    Carpe Diem
    Zitieren Zitieren

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David_VI:

Thankyou for your help
    David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>1404 has the DRM problem that you have to beware of, and decide if you want to pay full price for it.

Gameplay wise 1404 is a HUGE improvement from 1701, in an interview, the developer deliberately said that 1701 was a dumbed down installment in the series. 1404 tries to move back to the original style and complexity of the game.

Graphics wise, 1404 is much more detailed and refined than 1701, and it runs faster as has been said. 1701 has some performance problem, that lags no matter how fast your computer is, plus it's graphics look very very artificial and cartoonish compared to 1404.

Another game that you might want to try is 1503, it's just as complicated as 1404, and the gold edition is 9.99 now.
    Zitieren Zitieren

IMHO, 1503 is the weakest of all the games. You have 3 sizes of ships, trade and war, you only ever used large, cultures are worthless, and you need to micro manage your settlement by building STALLS to sell you stuff to your people

If you want a good anno game, 1404 &gt; 1602 &gt; 1701 &gt; an ear of corn &gt; 1503
    -----------------------------------
    Formally the Newbie from Pittsburgh, Wkw427!

Refer to me as wkw, not whyme. I warned you..
    [IMG]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff
    Zitieren Zitieren

Thanks guys,

Sounds like 1701 was a good warmup for 1404 then

In what ways is it dumbed down in comparison? or what things are there I should watch out for that I won't know of from playing 1701?

Cheers
    David
    Zitieren Zitieren

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whyme123wewe:
    IMHO, 1503 is the weakest of all the games. You have 3 sizes of ships, trade and war, you only ever used large, cultures are worthless, and you need to micro manage your settlement by building STALLS to sell you stuff to your people

If you want a good anno game, 1404 &gt; 1602 &gt; 1701 &gt; an ear of corn &gt; 1503 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Stalls are good because they make the game mechanics more complexed, you don't collect a steady flow of tax, and demands are not magically satisfied, if it takes too long for the people to go to the plublic buildings, then even if you have them all they will still not be satisfied because it takes them too long to get one demand after the last one. This way it is more realistic, in real life, you go to the market to buy things, you go to school, the school doesn't come to you. The ships of war thing is not important as Anno is not about fighting. 1503's cultures can't be compared to 1404 or 1701, because they are of different generations, 1503 is a much more primitively programmed 2d game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In what ways is it dumbed down in comparison? or what things are there I should watch out for that I won't know of from playing 1701?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Less and short production chains, less public buildings, less demands from people to be satisfied overall. The game literally stalls in the end when there is nothing more to do.
    Zitieren Zitieren