Seite 1 von 7 123 ... LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 63

Thema: Clarifications on US digital Deluxe Pre-Order from Ubi online store | Forums

Hello,

I'm very much excited about Anno 2070, but there are a few things I'd like clarified before I make the plunge and pre-order.

I considered posting this somewhere else (this thread, specifically), but I couldn't find this information elsewhere, and I figured a new thread would offer maximum exposure. Apologies for cluttering the board with yet another thread. Though I hope all questions will be answered, which may help other people coming here looking for similar answers.

I understand that these are the German forums and, as such, you may not have the answers to all my questions (North America-specific), but as far as I can tell, this is as close to an "Official Anno 2070 English Forum" as there is.

So basically, I really want this game, but I can't figure out which is the best place to buy it (I'm in Canada).

I use Steam for most of my PC gaming, but there's still no sign of an Anno 2070 release on steam. Amazon.ca's usually my second choice, and EB Games (Game Stop, basically) my third. Neither of the last two offer it either.

The most obvious choices I've found are the Ubi digital store itself, GamersGate and Direct2Drive. Both GamersGate and Direct2Drive list Tages as DRM, and they don't offer as many extras as the Ubi store. So, I'll be focusing on the Ubi store in regards to my questions.

1) Does the Anno 2070 Deluxe version found on the US Ubi store include Tages DRM? It's not listed, but considering it's listed on both Gamersgate and Direct2Drive, that makes me wonder...

2) I went through the pre-order steps, up until the point where one has to choose a payment option. One interesting thing I noticed is that they list the game, as well as "Anno 2070 Pre-order In-game Item: Sea Leopard" as an extra. My concern is that the pre-order bonus is supposed to be both the Sea Leopard and Biosphere Generator. I'm assuming both are included, and it's just badly named, but confirmation of this would help set my mind at ease.

3) At check-out, you can choose to add a physical copy of the game on the backup disc for 7$ CAD. You can also add "Extended Download Service" for 4$ CAD. The latter is what confuses me. Looking at the details, this is what they say:

"Save Time and Safeguard Your Purchase with EDS (Extended Download Service)
    Securely Back Up Your Software Online for One Year.

Now purchasing software online is more convenient than ever. Our Extended Download Service frees you from the time-consuming - but critical - chore of backing up your new software.

Simply purchase EDS as part of your order. We’ll automatically store on our server a back-up copy of the software that you purchased and downloaded for one full year from the date of purchase. System crash? Hard disk error? No Worries! You can re-download your files anytime during your extended protection period.

Your use of Extended Download Service is governed by the Digital River’s Terms and Conditions. Click here to review the Terms and Conditions.
    "

Does this mean, then, that if you don't get EDS, you can only download the game -ONCE-?! I'm used to Steam and Impulse's (now sadly owned by Game Stop) digital distribution method, which is that you can download a game you've bought as many times as you wish. Does the Ubi store not work this way, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of EDS?

At this point, I'm pretty sure that I'll be pre-ordering from the Ubi store, even if I dislike the answer to my three questions. I don't want Tages on my game, but I'll live with it if it's the only way I'll get to play. I'm just glad Ubi dispensed with their terrible "need to always be connected to the internet" DRM, which would have absolutely been a deal-breaker for me (I've actually been boycotting Ubi since they started with that).

The Ubi store also seems to be the only way for me to get the Sea Leopard & Biosphere Generator bonus content (both GamersGate and Direct2Drive list the Sea Leopard, but not the Biosphere Generator... though maybe it's included anyway? It might be a miscommunication between Ubi and these resellers).

I thank you in advance for your time. And if you know of somewhere else I can purchase this game for use in Canada, please do let me know. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to get the most content with the least DRM possible.

[Edit: formatting]

Hello,

I'm very much excited about Anno 2070, but there are a few things I'd like clarified before I make the plunge and pre-order.

I considered posting this somewhere else (this thread, specifically), but I couldn't find this information elsewhere, and I figured a new thread would offer maximum exposure. Apologies for cluttering the board with yet another thread. Though I hope all questions will be answered, which may help other people coming here looking for similar answers.

I understand that these are the German forums and, as such, you may not have the answers to all my questions (North America-specific), but as far as I can tell, this is as close to an "Official Anno 2070 English Forum" as there is.

So basically, I really want this game, but I can't figure out which is the best place to buy it (I'm in Canada).

I use Steam for most of my PC gaming, but there's still no sign of an Anno 2070 release on steam. Amazon.ca's usually my second choice, and EB Games (Game Stop, basically) my third. Neither of the last two offer it either.

The most obvious choices I've found are the Ubi digital store itself, GamersGate and Direct2Drive. Both GamersGate and Direct2Drive list Tages as DRM, and they don't offer as many extras as the Ubi store. So, I'll be focusing on the Ubi store in regards to my questions.

1) Does the Anno 2070 Deluxe version found on the US Ubi store include Tages DRM? It's not listed, but considering it's listed on both Gamersgate and Direct2Drive, that makes me wonder...

2) I went through the pre-order steps, up until the point where one has to choose a payment option. One interesting thing I noticed is that they list the game, as well as "Anno 2070 Pre-order In-game Item: Sea Leopard" as an extra. My concern is that the pre-order bonus is supposed to be both the Sea Leopard and Biosphere Generator. I'm assuming both are included, and it's just badly named, but confirmation of this would help set my mind at ease.

3) At check-out, you can choose to add a physical copy of the game on the backup disc for 7$ CAD. You can also add "Extended Download Service" for 4$ CAD. The latter is what confuses me. Looking at the details, this is what they say:

"Save Time and Safeguard Your Purchase with EDS (Extended Download Service)
    Securely Back Up Your Software Online for One Year.

Now purchasing software online is more convenient than ever. Our Extended Download Service frees you from the time-consuming - but critical - chore of backing up your new software.

Simply purchase EDS as part of your order. We’ll automatically store on our server a back-up copy of the software that you purchased and downloaded for one full year from the date of purchase. System crash? Hard disk error? No Worries! You can re-download your files anytime during your extended protection period.

Your use of Extended Download Service is governed by the Digital River’s Terms and Conditions. Click here to review the Terms and Conditions.
    "

Does this mean, then, that if you don't get EDS, you can only download the game -ONCE-?! I'm used to Steam and Impulse's (now sadly owned by Game Stop) digital distribution method, which is that you can download a game you've bought as many times as you wish. Does the Ubi store not work this way, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of EDS?

At this point, I'm pretty sure that I'll be pre-ordering from the Ubi store, even if I dislike the answer to my three questions. I don't want Tages on my game, but I'll live with it if it's the only way I'll get to play. I'm just glad Ubi dispensed with their terrible "need to always be connected to the internet" DRM, which would have absolutely been a deal-breaker for me (I've actually been boycotting Ubi since they started with that).

The Ubi store also seems to be the only way for me to get the Sea Leopard & Biosphere Generator bonus content (both GamersGate and Direct2Drive list the Sea Leopard, but not the Biosphere Generator... though maybe it's included anyway? It might be a miscommunication between Ubi and these resellers).

I thank you in advance for your time. And if you know of somewhere else I can purchase this game for use in Canada, please do let me know. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to get the most content with the least DRM possible.

[Edit: formatting]

Meister der Buchstaben Avatar von Moryarity
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elegant_Caveman:

1) Does the Anno 2070 Deluxe version found on the US Ubi store include Tages DRM? It's not listed, but considering it's listed on both Gamersgate and Direct2Drive, that makes me wonder... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As is stated in the forums a one-time internet connection will be neccessary to play the game. After that you can play offline, but will miss certain internet based features for which internet connection is neccessary.

2) I went through the pre-order steps, up until the point where one has to choose a payment option. One interesting thing I noticed is that they list the game, as well as "Anno 2070 Pre-order In-game Item: Sea Leopard" as an extra. My concern is that the pre-order bonus is supposed to be both the Sea Leopard and Biosphere Generator. I'm assuming both are included, and it's just badly named, but confirmation of this would help set my mind at ease.[/Quote]

I can't really tell you that because in the German deluxe edition Breona Ibori and a sonic wave modulator are included and you will only get the sea leopard as preorder bonus. I thik the biodpshere generator is a preorder item for opther shops. But as I said I do not know, what the US shop offers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3) At check-out, you can choose to add a physical copy of the game on the backup disc for 7$ CAD. You can also add "Extended Download Service" for 4$ CAD. The latter is what confuses me. Looking at the details, this is what they say:

"[i]Save Time and Safeguard Your Purchase with EDS (Extended Download Service)
    Securely Back Up Your Software Online for One Year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you check terms and conditions of your purchase you will notice, that buying the game enables you to download the game for a period of 30 days. If you want to have a longer period, where you can reload your game you need the extra option to extend this period to one year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moryarity:

As is stated in the forums a one-time internet connection will be neccessary to play the game. After that you can play offline, but will miss certain internet based features for which internet connection is neccessary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I understand that. As I mentioned, I wouldn't be buying the game if it needed me to be always connected (I have a bad connection that often disconnects). A one-time activation is fine, though, and very reasonable. That said, both GamersGate and Direct2Drive lists Anno 2070 as having the Tages DRM (on top of the one-time internet activation). The Ubi store doesn't mention this, though, so I'm wondering if the version from the Ubi store doesn't have Tages (which would be a little odd), or if it has it, but simply doesn't say so (which I would find dishonest of them).

I believe that with GamersGate and Direct2Drive, though, you can download the game as many times as you want, so maybe that's why those versions have Tages, but the one from the Ubi store doesn't?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moryarity:

I can't really tell you that because in the German deluxe edition Breona Ibori and a sonic wave modulator are included and you will only get the sea leopard as preorder bonus. I thik the biodpshere generator is a preorder item for opther shops. But as I said I do not know, what the US shop offers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. It's strange, pretty much everywhere I've seen lists the Sea Leopard (and only the Sea Leopard) as the pre-order bonus. The NA Ubi store, though, -also- lists the Biosphere Generator. I haven't seen it anywhere else yet. I've tried to google more information, but haven't found anything.

I guess I don't expect anyone to really have an answer for this question, really. I'm only asking on the off-chance. The only way to really know would be to wait until release, and ask someone who pre-ordered. But by that point, I wouldn't be able to pre-order anyway. Even if an NA Ubi rep replies to this thread and says "Yes, you will get the Biosphere Generator!", I don't know if I'd fully believe them... I've been cheated out of pre-order bonuses far too many times to have much faith in them.

Still, any information is appreciated...

If you check terms and conditions of your purchase you will notice, that buying the game enables you to download the game for a period of 30 days. If you want to have a longer period, where you can reload your game you need the extra option to extend this period to one year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very interesting... I hadn't seen that, thank you for the clarification. So it seems that the Ubi store, despite offering a digital product, is still taking an approach closer to physical media (though you still get a month). This gives me hope that it might actually be Tages-free.

Kam, sah und tippte Avatar von joanaferret
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    If you check terms and conditions of your purchase you will notice, that buying the game enables you to download the game for a period of 30 days. If you want to have a longer period, where you can reload your game you need the extra option to extend this period to one year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait a minute. <span class="ev_code_RED">30 DAYS?</span> Really?

This is disturbing news for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's very interesting... I hadn't seen that, thank you for the clarification. So it seems that the Ubi store, despite offering a digital product, is still taking an approach closer to physical media (though you still get a month). This gives me hope that it might actually be Tages-free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I understand why some people prefer to have the physical copy.
    Guess I'm spoiled by Steam OR maybe their business model is the future and it's just a matter of time for others to follow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joanaferret:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's very interesting... I hadn't seen that, thank you for the clarification. So it seems that the Ubi store, despite offering a digital product, is still taking an approach closer to physical media (though you still get a month). This gives me hope that it might actually be Tages-free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I understand why some people prefer to have the physical copy.
    Guess I'm spoiled by Steam OR maybe their business model is the future and it's just a matter of time for others to follow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to emphasize, here, that I'm making a guess, nothing more.

Both GamersGate and Direct2Drive mention Tages DRM on their Anno 2070 Deluxe pages (I haven't looked at the regular version). Ubisoft does -not- mention Tages anywhere on their Anno 2070 Deluxe page (again, I haven't looked at the regular version). There are two possibilities, then.

a) If you buy the game from the Ubisoft store, you don't have to put up with any DRM beyond the "one-time validation through the internet" (which is a perfectly acceptable form of DRM, as far as I'm concerned).

or,

b) The Ubi version also has Tages, but they're simply not bothering to tell us (I won't go into how angry that would make me on these forums...).

Now, giving Ubi the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that the version of the game one buys directly from the Ubisoft store -does not- have Tages, the question is, why not, if the others have it?

The answer to that question -might- lie in the fact that the Ubi version isn't a digital download in the "traditional" sense. That is, yes, you download it digitally, but you only have a (relatively) short window (of 30 days) to do so, as opposed to pretty much all digital delivery platforms I know of.

Given this, we can kind of look at it as a pseudo-physical copy (you -can- ask them for a disc for an extra fee; how many digital download storefronts offer to ship you a disc, extra fee or no?). As such, it might be regulated by different rules than the "true" digital download copies (for example, the ones from GamersGate or Direct2Drive, which -clearly- mention the presence of Tages), which can be downloaded as often as you want. Again, though, this is just a guess.

If Ubisoft is actually offering a nearly-DRM-free version of Anno 2070 from their site (with nothing more than a one-time online activation), I have to say, I'm very impressed, and pleased. This goes a long way in restoring some faith in them. This also makes the fact that I only have 30 days to download it and make a backup copy a lot easier to accept.

On the other hand, if Ubi is bundling Tages, not telling us about it, and only giving us 30 days to download.... well, I'm not sure if I want to buy this game anymore, and I may just continue my boycott.

This is why I'd very much like an answer to this Tages issue. The question about EDS has kindly been answered, and though I'd very much like the Biosphere Generator, a lack of it isn't exactly the end of the world. But if Ubi's bundling DRM and not telling me about it... that's a deal-breaker.

@Elegant_Caveman

I believe the game will be the same on all digital distribution sites. Meaning that it'll be one time validation with broadband internet no matter where your digital purchase was made. I have no reason to believe otherwise yet.

BUT I haven't seen any official news, and this Ubi Shop page is very bad written (also, the there's no way to search the help section for information)

-EDIT-

@Moryarity , sir, please help.

Meister der Buchstaben Avatar von Moryarity
    The "ubi store" is just a "store". So you buy something and then it is your concern as to how to keep it.

The steam platform..is..well.. a platform. It is also a copy protection system and a community and..includes a store.
    So there business model includes more things.

I will try to get the information concerning the copy protection system.

I think they've made the "one-time internet validation only" aspect abundantly clear by now and, honestly, it's the only reason why I'm even considering buying this game. I've been boycotting Ubisoft ever since they started with their "always-on internet connection" DRM. Partly out of principle, but also because I have a terrible internet connection.

That said, it seems that -- at least on GamersGate and Direct2Drive --, there's the one-time activation AND Tages. I don't buy games with Tages, or SecuROM (you might have guessed by now, but I'm not at all a fan of DRM; I find it infuriating that honest customers get penalized, but pirates get things for free and don't have to worry about bull**** DRM. I haven't started pirating games yet, but I'm tempted more and more...).

The question is, does the Ubi store version have Tages? Having it is bad enough. But not telling us about it... yeah... no... not happy.

My only hope, here, is that since Ubi's approach to digital distribution seems to be... "different"... (30 days? wtf?), perhaps their copy will be different (i.e. not have Tages).

I've emailed Ubisoft Customer Support about both the Tages and Biosphere Generator questions. I'll report back here if I ever hear from them with a clear answer (not something I'm exactly counting on, though).

The "ubi store" is just a "store". So you buy something and then it is your concern as to how to keep it.

The steam platform..is..well.. a platform. It is also a copy protection system and a community and..includes a store.
    So there business model includes more things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, the Steam platform is a form of DRM in itself. But there are games on Steam which have Tages, and games on Steam which have SecuROM. One doesn't stop the other. As you say, though, the Ubi "store" is "just a store". Though in a way, that should make them more likely to include third-party DRM, not less, which is what's bothering me here.

Considering that two other digital distributors, at least, list Tages as being present, I'm very much concerned by the fact that the Ubi store makes no mention of it. Especially considering Ubisoft's track record with DRM in general.

[Edit: added reply to Moryarty]

Seite 1 von 7 123 ... LetzteLetzte